As a Risk and Safety Specialist you will provide technical guidance, interpretations, and training to reduce and mitigate Airports Authority risk exposure.
Serves in the Risk Management Department of the Office of Human Resources and Administrative Services in the Headquarters Office.
Provides technical advice, interpretations, and guidance on occupational safety and health, airport safety (related to airfield, tenants, and the general public), and risk management related issues affecting internal and external customers of the Airports Authority’s Aviation Enterprise. Performs related functions.
- Provides leadership in interpreting, developing, implementing, and managing safety programs, policies, and procedures that meet OSHA and other applicable requirements.
- Conducts safety inspections and accident investigations and provides technical guidance to managers, employees, and tenants on safety issues.
- Provides technical advice to management on compliance with Federal and State laws and safety and health programs and recommends best practices to reduce risk exposure.
- Provides technical guidance and training in risk management for occupational safety and health rules and procedures, safety inspections, accident investigations.
- Creates and maintains the injury, accident, and near-miss records in the Risk Management Information System for the Airports Authority and prepare reports for Executive Management meetings and Safety and Health Committees.
- Maintains, implements, and manages the Airports Authority Approved Driver Program.
- Researches current issues in occupational safety and health and regularly writes articles for dissemination to employees for the On Good Authority newsletter.
- Serves as Contracting Officer’s Technical Representative (COTR) for safety contracts.
- Participates in various Airports Authority safety committee meetings to monitor and suggest improvements to protect the public, employees, and tenants and loss control techniques to prevent injuries and property damage.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in safety and risk management.
- Knowledge of Virginia and Federal safety and health regulations and standards and the ability to apply the development of safety program policies, conduct safety training and inspections, and provide advice and guidance concerning safety requirements.
- Knowledge of, and ability to apply, legal precedent decisions applicable to aviation, airport, and industrial workplace environments.
- Ability to develop industrial, environmental, and construction safety training programs.
- Skill in problem solving to analyze incidents for causality and develop trend lines from quantitative data.
- Ability to perform detailed analyses of data and information and make recommendations.
- Ability to monitor contracted services and serve as a COTR.
- Skill in written and oral communication, with emphasis on expressing information so that others will understand.
- Ability to use computer hardware and modern office suite software, with emphasis on an automated risk management information system.
- Experience in risk management and occupational safety and health for a busy commercial airport or similar environment.
- Certified Safety Manager (CSM) designation with National Association of Safety Professionals or an equivalent designation.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Risk Management, Occupational Safety and Health, Business Administration, or a related field.
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES REQUIRED
- A state driver’s license in good standing.
NECESSARY SPECIAL FACTORS
- Operates vehicle airside and landside (requires AOA permit).
- May stoop, bend, grasp, and lift or otherwise position self or items (for close inspection) weighing up to 25 pounds when conducting inspections.
- May work outdoors and move about the airport complexes or areas under construction to conduct inspections. May be exposed to dirt, excessive noise, and adverse weather conditions when conducting on-site inspections. Wears personal protective equipment as appropriate.
Apply Online At: https://www.mwaa.com/about/careers – EOE
Follow Us On Twitter At: @MWAACareers