Swissport USA Corporate
Regional Director of Environmental Health, Safety, and Quality
Dulles, Virginia, USA
Swissport is hiring a Regional Director of Environmental Health, Safety, and Quality for the Dulles, Virginia, location.
The Regional Director of Environmental Health, Safety, and Quality USA is the key leader to drive the zero incident and zero waste culture within the operations in the region/country, including assurance that operational QHSE delivery is in accordance with the industry’s and Swissport’s global quality, safety & environment management systems and standards.
- Align with the global QHSE strategy and support the local management in developing the regional QHSE strategic roadmap, drive action plan and objectives.
- Ensure comprehensive and efficient implementation of Swissport’s QHSE management system within the region/countries/stations and actively support the development and improvement of the Swissport Quality Health & Safety Management System as part of the Swissport Formula.
- Be the regional point of contact and reference for Quality, Safety and Environment for all Swissport’s business units.
- Lead by example and continuously manage and coordinate QHSE improvement and compliance within the region by leading the cultural change to a Zero Incident and Zero Waste mind-set.
- Build a sustainable QHSE commitment, awareness, knowledge, behaviors and engagement of the regional management and employees.
- Deliver regular QHSE performance reports to the Regional and Global Management.
- Provide guidance and develop the regional QHSE management team.
- Ensure the highest levels of qualification, skills and key competencies (audits, investigation, risk analysis, reporting, communication, training, coaching and prevention) are provided for the QHSE management team within the region and identify improvement areas to accelerate the implementation of the Zero incident and Zero waste mind-set.
- Plan, prepare and conduct internal safety audits in Swissport operational organizations and initiate / monitor corrective actions based on audit findings and occurrence investigations
- Initiate and/or carry out investigations on occurrences if applicable
- Ensure the establishment and maintenance of an operational risk register and the legal surveillance per country.
- Enhance experience sharing by promoting exchange of resources and support.
- Assure participation in global expert groups.
- Report directly to the Regional SVP USA and dotted line to Global VP QHSE.
Qualifications and Competencies
- 5+ years of experience in a senior management role in QHSE. Preferably in the aviation or similar i.e shipping, cargo logistics or transportation industry with a specialty area in ground operations.
- University technical degree/ professional qualifications or equivalent in related field, required. MBA desirable.
- Industry Certification: such as certified Safety Professional, Certified Industrial Hygienist; NBOSH diploma or equivalent in safety management.
- Successful experience in implementing ISO/OHSAS management system. Certified auditor, desirable.
- A high sense of passion for improving QHSE culture and standards.
- Strong leadership experience ideally in a multi-cultural, international business environment.
- Ability to evangelize the QHSE programs and to gain credibility, in order to persuade, gain support, obtain commitment, and mobilize management and team to action.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, build relationships as required to achieve goals while meeting the needs of the business.
- Liaise with the countries / stations and Swissport’s business units to ensure continuity of QHSE programs at the regional network level.
- Be accountable and maintaining high standards of performance, while striving to improve operations.
- Work independently and effectively in an evolving, complex and dynamic environment.
- Be willing to learn and make courageous decisions.
- Ability, through effective communication in a multi-cultural environment.
- Good oral and written communications and ability to communicate and motivate and drive standards at all levels.
- Look internally and externally for best practices and areas of improvement.
- Strong analytical, implementation and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of region / country specific laws and industry regulations related to safety, health and environment.
- Proven track record in the implementation of QHSE systems and behavioral-based safety programs.
- Operational and general compliance orientation.
- Experience in risk assessments, accident/incident investigation and root cause analysis.
- Willingness to travel extensively within and without the geographic region (about 50-60%).
- Fluent command of English as the corporate language, Spanish preferred or any other language is a plus
Swissport International Ltd. is the leading Ground Services Provider to the aviation industry. Swissport is employing over 60,000 dedicated professionals, serving over 700 client companies at 269 stations in 48 countries on five continents. Swissport delivers unparalleled value in the areas of Ground Handling, Cargo Services, Executive Aviation, Travel Services, Fueling and Aircraft Maintenance. We strive to operate with the core values of People, Professionalism, and Partnership in all that we undertake. Our mission is simple – “To provide the aviation industry with consistent and tailor-made solutions around the globe, for a better customer experience.”
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: Swissport as an equal opportunity employer bases its hiring decisions on the business need and the best qualified candidates available, and does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of any protected category. Candidates who are offered employment may be subject to a criminal record and other background checks as permitted or required by company policy or applicable law.