Symposium Theme: Fulfilling the Need for Quality Safety Professionals around the World
Our ever-changing world, which continues to become smaller through advanced methods of communication, is demanding changes to how we live our lives and how we work, how we learn, how we share new information, and how we comply with new laws, regulations, and demands of the changes in global trade.
In the World Safety Organization’s 43rd year, we are continually reminded of the WSO Objectives: to encourage the effective exchange of information and experiences between/among the members of the WSO; to collaborate with other organizations in conducting activities of mutual concerns, interests and directions; to promote the continuous upgrading of the safety and accident prevention technology and these fields related to loss of lives, property, and environment; to strive for a universal level of professionalism and competence among its members and WSO non-members whose functions are related to safety; to perform such other necessary acts and functions relevant to the WSO overall theme of “Making Safety A Way of Life … Worldwide.”
The Symposium will provide a unique opportunity for the corporate managers and executives, safety, health & environmental professionals, advocates of safety and accident prevention, leaders of safety organizations and WSO members from around the world where the WSO is represented through the WSO International/ National Offices, WSO Chapters, and individual members. Participation in the Symposium will provide a forum for information exchange, networking, professional contact with other members, safety professionals, but most of all, learning about new programs and professional knowledge at sessions, panels and workshops presented during the Symposium. The Symposium format consists of presentations, lectures, panels, workshops and plenary sessions. As a part of the program, Symposium participants are invited to take part in the “WSO Global Safety Roundtable” discussion where the suggestions, comments, resolutions, etc., will be formatted for submission to governmental legislation and Missions of the United Nations (UN), International Labor Organization (ILO), World Health Organization (WHO), and similar rule-making groups on the local, national and international levels.
Symposium topics include, but are not limited to: occupational safety and health, environmental safety and health, ergonomics, systems safety management, security, industrial hygiene, hazardous materials management, transportation safety, construction safety, off-the-job safety, recreational safety, safety of the workplace, disaster preparedness, as well as legislative topics on the national and global scale.
The Symposiums of the World Safety Organization are always international in scope. WSO members from Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa, and the Americas are frequent participants at the WSO Symposiums and Congresses.
Representatives from state and federal agencies are invited to provide updates on newest laws and regulations relevant to the safety industry.
The Charleston Marriott Town Center invites business and leisure travelers to immerse themselves in style, comfort, and elegance. Features include an unbeatable downtown hotel location in West Virginia’s capital city, proximity to top destinations like Charleston Civic Center, CAMC General, and world-class shopping, restaurant, and entertainment options in the heart of the city. All rooms provide a flat-screen TV, deluxe bedding, a well-lit work area, high-speed Wi-Fi access, and a coffee and tea maker. In addition, you’ll enjoy a fully stocked fitness center, heated indoor pool, and inventive, casual dining at Brick Salt Bar+Kitchen. The Charleston Marriott Town Center will provide an extraordinary backdrop for our visit to beautiful West Virginia.
WSO Awards Banquet
WSO Awards Banquet is scheduled on Monday evening, September 17, to honor the individuals, corporations, organizations, and other groups for their concerns in the protection of people, property, resources, and the environment. A list of all WSO Awards, along with the requirements for each, may be found on our website. If you wish to nominate an individual, company, corporation, agency, publication, association, or other entity, please contact the WSO World Management Center for the WSO Awards Nomination Brochure.
Call for Speakers
Using the downloadable form, please submit an outline/abstract of your presentation. All abstracts submitted will be reviewed, and authors will be notified if the presentation has been accepted. Deadline for abstract submission is 15 May 2018. Upon notification of acceptance, the completed presentation must be submitted prior to 1 July 2018 for publication in the “Symposium Proceedings.”
You may also submit your outline/abstract online: http://worldsafety.org/online-outlineabstract-submission/
- Format for publication in the Symposium Proceedings: Papers should be written in concise language (English) and should be typed, double spaced, using only one side of the paper. Number the pages and leave margins. A separate title page should contain the title, author’s full name, qualifications, and a half-page résumé, together with a complete mailing address. Please submit text composed in Microsoft Word (MsWord), via email attachment or copied to a USB drive and mailed to us.
- Presentations may be submitted in MS PowerPoint format; however, an Abstract must accompany.
- Illustrations, tables, and graphs may be submitted. Color photos are acceptable. Type legends for any photos in double spacing on separate pages.
- Statistical data should be expressed in SIUs (Standard International Units), as far as is practicable.
- References should be cited in the text by superior numbers and a full list of references given at the end of the paper in numerical sequence. References to books should include author’s surnames and initials, full title, place of publication, full name of publisher, and date of publication. References to journal articles should include author’s surnames and initials, full title of article, full title of journal, date of publication, volume number, issue number, and page. The accuracy of references is the author’s responsibility. Check each reference in the manuscript and again in the proofs. References should be listed on a separate page.
- Authors are responsible for ensuring that their work does not infringe on any copyright.
- If desired, editing is available at the WSO WMC for contributors whose first language is not English.
- Reprints: No reprints are available, unless requested. There may be a charge applicable for reprints. Please contact the WSO World Management Center. Copyright of all materials is retained by the WSO; however, requests for reprinting in other journals may be approved.
- Copies of the “Symposium Proceedings” are distributed to the Missions of the United Nations, participants at various national and international conferences where the WSO participates, WSO National Offices, participants of the WSO sponsored/co-sponsored seminars and courses, agencies of state/ federal/etc. governments, libraries of universities, as well as numerous societies and associations (globally).
PLEASE NOTE: WSO does not pay speaker fees or facilitate the travel and other subsistence arrangements for any speaker of the Symposium; all arrangements related to travel, visas, accommodations, and daily subsistence are the exclusive responsibility of the speaker. WSO does, however, offer a discounted registration fee for speakers who wish to attend the entire Symposium.
Schedule of Dates for the Receipt of the Speaker’s Documentation
15 May 2018
- Completed “Paper Outline/Abstract” with indication of length of the presentation/workshop.
- All sessions will be 30 minutes. Please indicate if you need two consecutive sessions.
31 May 2018
- Résumé/bio: 100-150 words
- Abstract: 150-200 words
- Current Photo
1 June 2018
INTERNATIONAL SPEAKERS MUST HAVE VALID TRAVEL VISA BY THIS DATE to participate. Request your invitation letter in ample time to schedule your visa interview!
1 July 2018
Paper for publication in the “Symposium Proceedings,” speaker’s photo, and an updated bio
15 August 2018
Conference Registration Form and payment of Fees must be received to confirm participation in the Symposium Program.
Please forward the completed forms to:
WSO World Management Center
PO Box 518, Warrensburg MO 64093 USA
Phone 660.747.3132 | Fax 660.747.2647